An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Chess Position Trainer & Pocket Fritz

I actually started using Chess Position Trainer (CPT) last night. I'd looked at it before, but now that I actually entered some lines I'm planning on playing in the future, I have gotten a better feel for it. Overall, a great application. I started by entering my lines into Pocket Fritz 2 on my PDA with a separate game for each opening. Then I beamed them via IR onto my laptop that is running CPT. I then imported the PGN database into CPT and split it up into the various sub-repertoires for white and black. I tried out the training feature that lets you practice openings. Overall a fun way to practice memorizing lines. Of course I still need to learn the reasoning behind all the moves so I'm not blindly memorizing stuff, but entering the lines into CPT is a start.

And yes, I did some tactics study last night before I spent time on openings. :-)

Tactics in Pocket Fritz 2
I also figured out how to change the tactics training positions in Pocket Fritz 2 last night. Just put your own tactics problems in PGN format in the PF2 install directory as Tactics.pgn overwriting the factory default (though I did back-up the factory defaults first). There's some other file there named Tactics, but I'm not sure what the extension is so I just deleted it and it worked fine with my new tactics file. So now that I have this, I may not bother with CT-Art for my PDA. We'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home