An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Novice Nook & Chess Tactics for Students

Novice Nook
I finished reading most of the articles from Dan Heisman's excellent Novice Nook series at ChessCafe last night. I skimmed a few that I didn't think were immediately useful to me in the process of building my own study plan, but I will go back and review those later. If you are an adult player (or maybe even a younger player) trying to improve, I highly recommend you take advantage of this fantastic resource. Dan seems to be pretty good at presenting things clearly, so his articles are well worth a read.

Based on what I already knew and Dan's suggestions from Novice Nook, here's what I'm going to work on:
  • Playing more slow games (G/60 or longer)- I'm working on getting some set up. I already review my games, look for opening improvements, etc.- I just need to play more.
  • Thought process- I need to work on this, but playing more games will help.
  • Tactics- The MDLM plan helped, but I still have more work to do in this area.
  • Evaluation- This is a new one I think I need to improve based on Dan's articles. In particular I need to focus on evaluating "quiet" positions where material and king safety are about equal.
Note that your list may vary, so read Dan's articles and figure out what you need to do for yourself. For example, Dan recommends learning general principles like rooks belong behind passed pawns, etc., but I think I know most of the big ones. Of course how often I put them into practice is another question, but whether or not I need to work on this more will become apparent after playing more games.

Bain's "Chess Tactics for Students"
I did the first 100 problems in Bain's CTFS book last night (spent maybe 45 minutes right before bed). Overall they are pretty easy after having completed the seven circles and most of them I solved in a few seconds (most of the hard ones were ones I had seen in CT-Art). However, there were maybe 5-10 easy problems that I had to think about or overlooked something in the problem, so I will probably go ahead and finish the book (a few more hours I expect), and maybe do another pass or two just to be safe. I might cut the problems out of the book (or scan them) so I can mix the problems up. They are all sorted by theme right now which makes it too easy.

7 Comments:

At 4:41 AM, Blogger takchess said...

conventra has a software that is simalar to ct-art that is strategy problems.( I'm thinking I might do this once(if) I finish ct-art)
also Sharpen your tactics by lein is a good problem book if you are looking for another good tactic book.
Congrats on your accomplishment. You did it in an amazingly short time.
Jim

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Hey Fussy, where's our narrative about your experience with the circles? :)

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger Christian said...

Also a great fan of Dan. His advice helped me much. So after a zeitnot loss I googled "time management" and found an excellent article by Dan, and since then I never again had time problems in my games!

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger fussylizard said...

I'm still working on the article, but it is coming! :-)

 
At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I have a Chessbase version of Bain's "Chess Tactics for Students" if you're interested + numerous of other chess e-books?

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger fussylizard said...

I already have it, thx zeon. :-) www.gambitchess.com has lots of books, but you have to contribute to get full access. Overall it is a great resource after a little bit of work.

 
At 3:52 AM, Anonymous Cam said...

Great reading youur post

 

Post a Comment

<< Home