An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Monday, May 16, 2005

Writer's Block

Just a quick update on the story of my MDLM experience: I'm still working on it. I have been very busy with work (travel) and have not had much chess time lately. However, I'm going to finish my epic masterpiece about solving chess problems for months and then get back to my chess training.

I Have to Have This
Did you know that Convekta offers a Pocket PC version of CT-Art? I think I will order a copy since I love playing chess against Pocket Fritz 2, and always having CT-Art at my fingertips would be great. Not enough time to get slaughtered in a blitz game? No problem- zip through a few problems in CT-Art...

A Confession
I am embarrassed to mention it, but I went ahead and ordered Total Chess Training (mostly for Strategy 2.0 and the opening blunders CD) and Middlegame Training 3 (mostly for the stuff on the Scandinavian which I play from time to time). Overall I now have about 20,000 problems from Convekta to do. Hmmm, guess I'd better get to work!

Online Team Play
When catching up on Knight blogs I read with interest about the team competitions being organized by Pawn Sensei. G/45+45 is not too bad, though slower would be better (I prefer G/120). So I think I'll try to play a few games over at FICS to get a rating so I can join in on the fun. I definitely need to play more, so this sounds like a great opportunity.

5 Comments:

At 1:00 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey Fussy. What's your OTB rating currently?

PS

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger fussylizard said...

I don't have an OTB rating. I play some on InstantChess.com, mostly G/15+5, and I'm rated in the low 1600s.

What is "standard" play on FICS? If I am going to play I need a standard rating...

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger bahus said...

At FICS all games with at least 15/G time control is Standard (Blitz 3:00-14:59, Lightning 1:00-2:59 lightning and under 1 minute Suicide (?)).

I suggest you download the BabasChess -client and give FICS a try.

- bahus

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger fussylizard said...

bahus- Thx for the info. I actually downloaded Babaschess just the other day...looks pretty good.

Sounds like the FICS stuff is just like InstantChess re: time controls...

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Fussy,

Sorry I missed your question. Hmm, so it sounds like you will probably be in U1600 or U1800.

PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home