An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

2005-07-21: fussylizard vs. OJ: 1-0

I've not done my analysis yet, but this week I came out on top against OJ. He played the accelerated dragon again and varied first from his prior game with black. I quickly got a positional advantage but shortly overlooked an annoying queen check. Instead of moving my king I offered a dubious pawn sacrifice to mix things up, and later OJ allowed a discovery on his queen. After the tactical smoke cleared I had a technically winning position with a queen versus a rook and knight with black having an extra pawn. I played carefully and ground out the win. Overall I was pleased with my play except for overlooking that irritating check (check the checks!).

I'll post the game as soon as I analyze it.

Update 2005-07-26: Game posted

2 Comments:

At 3:18 AM, Blogger JavaManIssa said...

congrats :)

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

Nice game. I think 21.Bb6 deserves an "!"; I really had to look at it for a bit to figure that discovery out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home