An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Happy birthday to me!

My birthday was a couple of days ago and my wife got me one of those DGT sensory chess boards. It is a beautiful piece of work. I've not had a chance to try it out yet. I'm hoping it will be good for playing blitz games with OJ since it will record all of our moves. Also, I think it might be fun to let Fritz analyze our weekly games as we play and see what Fritz has to say about our moves immediately after the game...

8 Comments:

At 3:47 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Congratulations. That's an awesome birthday present. (Don't you agree Margriet?)

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Happy Birthday!

Great gift! Let me know how you like it. I've been eyeing one of those :)

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger fussylizard said...

It's pretty cool. I let Shredder whip my ass a few times last night.

The main realistic benefit for me is that I can keep record of blitz games that are played OTB, and immediate feedback on game performance (though I prefer to do my own analysis before tainting myself with the computer's analysis). Other than that I don't see much practical benefit over internet play that you couldn't get by just playing moves on a physical board as they come in from your opponent. Also, the board is a bit heavy and bulky, so it will be a bit irritating to transport. And I certainly wouldn't take it to a tournament for fear of theft.

On the non-practical side, the board is beautiful, the pieces are nice, and it's just plain cool. It's pretty neat to set up a position on the board and then be able to play it against Shredder.

Of course the best thing will be when we have holographic boards and you could load up a position on the computer and have it displayed on a real board. *That* would be awesome!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger fussylizard said...

Oh, and thanks for the birthday wishes! :-)

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

Happy Birthday, Mr. Lizard! :)

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Beautiful board!

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Hey, I want one of those! Congrats, and happy birthday.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Happy birthday man. That is one sweet gift!

PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home