An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Monday, June 20, 2005

What a Strange Feeling

What a strange feeling it is to actually be reading the chess books I've bought over the years. After finishing the MDLM plan I went through Chernev's Logical Chess, and tonight I just finished Snyder's Unbeatable Chess Lessons for Juniors. It is a nice feeling to actually finish going through a chess book instead of watching it collect dust on a shelf...

I just went rummaging through my book collection and found a few more game collections I want to go through: Weeramantry's Best Lessons of a Chess Coach, Snyder's More Unbeatable Chess Lessons for Juniors (I just bought this a few weeks ago), and Nunn's Understanding Chess Move by Move. I also have game collections of Morphy and Marshall that I would like to get through as well. The first three are all extensively annotated, so I'll probably tackle them first. The Nunn book may be a bit over my head, but I'll give it a go.

I've been lacking in my tactics practice since finishing the MDLM plan, though I have finished Bain's Chess Tactics for Students (but I will continue to review it a bit more until I can do all the problems instantaneously). However, in going through the Snyder book I was pleased to see that when asked to find a move I nearly always quickly saw any move that was a simple material win, so I suppose that is encouraging.

Since OJ is now back I need to get back into the groove. He's up 11 wins versus my 9 (with a few draws), so I need to work at getting that in line. :-) We were supposed to play last week, but we ended up doing happy hour with some of our mutual friends from our grad school days. After all, no one had seen him yet since he got back from his several month long trip...

Anyway, Thurday the gauntlet will be thrown down again when OJ and I square off. OJ has a new white opening he said, but I have white this week. What to play, what to play...? Maybe I'll actually plan on something this week beyond just 1.e4...

Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

At 1:40 PM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

It is a welcome relief to be able to read other chess books besides Reinfeld's 1001 WCSC. I've been working my way through Vukovic's Art of Attack in Chess. I'm memorizing the games as I go through it. This is the method I used last year to get through Pachman's Modern Chess Strategy. I just got done with one game where the final few moves were actually a tactic in 1001 WCSC. So, now I can say I know that tactic's history as well as being able to solve it!

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Margriet and I have read Nunn's book. It's very readible and interesting, but I don't remember that I actually have used the provided knowledge in a game.

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Good luck. How about 1.f4 or 1.g4!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home