An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Monday, June 13, 2005

The Return of OJ

Wow, time sure flys by when you are not slaving away over chess problems in every spare moment. I regret to say that I have been quite lax in my chess studies of late. However, now that my friend OJ is back from an extended vacation, my Thursday night chess matches will resume which should provide fresh motivation. OJ says he has a new opening, so I'm looking forward to our first game in several months this Thursday. It's my turn to play white, so maybe I will surprise him with 1.d4 (I play both 1.d4 and 1.e4, but mostly I play 1.e4 with OJ). Or perhaps I'll boldly play 1.e4 and see what he's got...

Sorry I've not been keeping up with the blogs of the other knights. I will have to get back on track with that. I also need to play online at FICS so I can join in the other Knights in team play...

In chess news I am almost finished with "Unbeatable Chess Lessons for Juniors" by Snyder. It's a good book (game collection with every move commented), and I like his style and explanation better than in Chernev's "Logical Chess". Recommended.

5 Comments:

At 2:35 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

If you intend to read all our posts since may 24 there lies some work ahead. . .

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit! - Johnny Cochrane

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Nezha said...

> I am almost finished with "Unbeatable Chess Lessons for Juniors" by Snyder

I am also thinking of buying this book, or "undersatnding chess move for move" - Is this really good? if so, I will buy this instead of "understanding".

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger fussylizard said...

Nez, I have the Nunn book but have not gone through it yet. It is a typical Nunn book, extremely thorough. I remember there being lots of variations, which was a bit overwhelming. It also focuses on current GM praxis, which is good for some but I am not nearly that sophisticated...I'd rather a book be a little more simple (both in detail and openings and strategies) so I can get more out of it. The Nunn book can come later.

So I would recommend starting with the Snyder book, and then progressing to the Nunn book. Snyder just came out with "More Unbeatable Chess Lessons for Juniors" which I just bought, and I might go through that before I look at the Nunn book. I also have a book of Paul Morphy games that I'll probably go through as well before I hit the Nunn book.

 
At 4:16 AM, Blogger JavaManIssa said...

Chernev's logical chess, move by move is quite good i hear lots of good stuff about it, but never got around to reading it :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home