An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

The Final Assault

Circle 6 Complete, on to Circle 7!
Circle 6 is now complete. Here's the stats:

Level 1 % 2 % 3 % 4 % 5 % 6 %
----- --- --- ---- ---- ---- ----
10 96% 99% 100% 100% 100% 100%
20 91% 93% 95% 97% 98% 99%
30 74% 80% 87% 93% 96% 99%
40 69% 74% 82% 88% 95% 98%
50 67% 72% 81% 89% 90% 97%
60 55% 64% 75% 83% 93% 96%
70 60% 58% 68% -- 79% 90%
80 57% -- 64% -- -- --
90+ 55% -- 58% -- -- --
And the Average Time Per Problem (ATPP):

Level Circle 5 ATPP Circle 6 ATPP
----- ------------- -------------
10 17.5 sec 14.2 sec
20 30.2 sec 22.2 sec
30 53.8 sec 31.8 sec
40 58.2 sec 45.3 sec
50 1.5 min 1.1 min
60 1.4 min 1.5 min
70 3.4 min 2.3 min
80 -- --
90+ -- --
----- ------------- -------------
Total 17.4 hours 13.5 hours
Since the above times are strictly solving times and don't count breaks, food, etc., Circle 7 tomorrow will be a bit of a challenge, but maybe doable if I don't take many breaks. Normally I can only do problems for a little over an hour before I need to get up and move around, get a light snack, etc. I sort of wish I'd stuck with levels 70+ throughout, but given the demands of life it just wasn't possible. I'm curious to see what my ATPP will look like for level 70 tomorrow...just how fast can one do level 70 problems?

The Com-fy Chair
In case you wonder what it's like spending all your free time solving problems, I thought I'd post a picture of me hard at work:

In order to help the newer and future followers of the Knights Errant de la Maza, I would like to point out a few key things in this picture:
  • It's important to have a comfortable setup. When you are doing problems for hours and hours at a time, ergonomics is a must. Personally, I have found I am pretty comfortable using a laptop computer while leaning back in one chair and propping my feet up on another.
  • At lower left I have a plastic cup full of water. It's important to stay well hydrated. This forces you to have to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes or so, minimizing muscle atrophy as you waste your life away with CT-Art.
  • Notice the pillow on my lap. This is to keep the laptop from burning my legs. Laptops run ridiculously hot these days. The MDLM plan is hard enough as it is- I can't imagine having to do it with second-degree burns. But then again, if I were confined to a hospital bed then maybe I wouldn't have all those distractions like work, etc. and could focus on problems even more. Hmmmm, I will have to research my health insurance on this point.
  • In case you were wondering, the aquarium to my left houses Basil, our ball python (or royal python for non-U.S. readers). He doesn't do much except sit under his rock all day, but occasionally he sticks his head out to see what's going on.
The Final Assault
Tomorrow I will sally forth on the final adventure, Circle 7! I will leave out milk and cookies or something for Caissa tonight in the hopes that she will bless my endeavor tomorrow. Heck, I even took a precious day of my two-weeks-a-year of vacation from work to do chess problems (in addition to the one I already took a few weeks ago). Surely that will merit a favorable glance from our patron goddess..!?

Wish me luck, fellow knights!

5 Comments:

At 2:06 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

The Hall of Fame ogles! (and an ocean of spare time you don't know what to do with. Keep it up!

 
At 3:52 AM, Blogger Nezha said...

Good luck, one more day and youll be a graduate. "Graduate" - it has a nice ring to it. Bet that sounds good.

But, hey wait a minute, now I know the secret why I cant solve hundreds of problems a day. It must be the pillow. Yeah, definitely the pillow.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Rock on.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

What's actually the attitude of a python to a lizzard?

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger fussylizard said...

Thanks for the encouragement, all! It's 2:11 p.m. and I just finished level 30 (617 of 1100 problems done). I'm still shaving some time off, even on these early levels, so I hope to finish at a reasonable hour.

Tempo- re: lizards and pythons- "fussylizard" was the nickname of a pet savannah monitor lizard I used to have. He was about 1 meter long and weighed 6 kilos. He was such a cool pet. Turns out that savannah monitors and ball pythons are both native to the African savannahs. We housed them separately, but presumably they would get along okay given enough space...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home