An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Some Things Just Are Not Meant to Be

Well folks, I really was looking forward to the tournament this past weekend, but work conspired to foil my plans. I had been studying a lot (working on my opening repertoire and reviewing tactics problems) but last week was just hell at work (long, super-stressful days). I was just so mentally worn out at the end of each day that I was a zombie, so I didn't study at all the week before the tournament. I was still feebly thinking about playing anyway, but Friday I was informed I had to be "on call" over the weekend, which means my cell phone had to be on all weekend. That pushed me over the edge, so I opted to skip it. Turns out it was a good choice anyway since when I woke up Saturday (tournament day) I was feeling bad, and later I discovered I had a mild fever. Not sure what the deal was, but I would not have been in any condition to play had I gone.

Anyway, there's nothing promising in the area for the near future, so I think my tournament debut will have to wait... C'est la vie...

6 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Ah well, hope you feel better soon. And it's good you didn't play if you weren't feeling 100%. You would have felt a lot worse by the end of the tournament.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Yeah, good call to hold off. All this talk about being on call and the like has me picturing the boss from the movie "Office Space" who is constantly sipping coffee....'Yeaaaah. Say listen....I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday....matter of fact, Sunday too, yeaaah...mmmk?' I swear I hope that isn't the case for you. Hope you are feeling better.

 
At 1:32 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

If you had gone to the tourney and your cell phone rings in the middle of a winning attack you would feel REALLY bad:)
Hope you feel better now.

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Better to skip if you think there is any chance you won't enjoy the experience anyway. Being sick, or having added stress during a tournament can turn the rounds into work instead of play. In general tournaments for me are stressful. I enjoy them, but you put a certain pressure on yourself to do well too. So if something makes it harder to do well your stress levels can raise.

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

I feel for ya man. When I was on 24/7 pager I once got paged during a finals review session for a programming class I was taking at the time. And if you had gone with your fever you may have fainted from exhaustion. My brain was on fire at the end of my first tournament.

PS

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Ed Doyle said...

How are the lessons with Heisman going ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home