An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Mikail Tal, Pizza, and Circle Five

I had the weirdest dream Sunday night. I was staying at a hotel and I went out by the pool and guess who was there? None other than the great Mikhail Tal. "What luck!" I thought. A chance to sit down with the master of tactics himself and ask him about all those next-to-impossible combinations he found over the board that I've suffered through repeatedly in CT-Art. I wanted to go over and talk to him, but before I could I had to go order a couple of pizzas. I have no idea why, but I had to (it was one of those weird dream things). So I found the phone number of a pizza place, agonized over what to put on each of the two pizzas, and finally placed my order. I then started walking back to the pool area and saw the maestro was still there. I'm walking over, thinking maybe he might like some pizza, getting closer, thiking I hope I don't act like a moron in front of him, getting closer, getting closer, getting closer, and then...I woke up. Can you believe that? Five feet from Mikhail Tal and I woke up. What are the odds? I was hoping I would have the same dream last night (in which case I would skip the pizza), but alas there was no hotel, no pizza, and no Mikhail Tal. Rats.

Circle Four Report
Last week and this weekend were a blur. With two weddings to go to (one out of town), it was rough. My wife and I flew out Friday morning early (after four hours sleep) and it was non-stop wedding stuff until we left Sunday morning. Then we had a few hours of rest (which I used to do problems) before we had to go to a wedding reception in Austin. But with taxes, packing, etc. last week, I fell behind and couldn't make it up this weekend. The net of it is that I didn't get all the way through Circle 4. I was hoping to at least finish level 70, but I only made it through problem 1069. I will stick to my plan outlined in prior posts for just starting the next circle so as to avoid slipping the schedule. I really need to finish up so I can have a life again.

Anyway, here's the "final" stats for Circle 4:

Level Circle 1 % Circle 2 % Circle 3% Circle 4%
----- ---------- ---------- --------- ---------
10 96% 99% 100% 100%
20 91% 93% 95% 97%
30 74% 80% 87% 93%
40 69% 74% 82% 88%
50 67% 72% 81% 89%
60 55% 64% 75% 83%
70 60% 58% 68% --
80 57% -- 64% --
90+ 55% -- 58% --
Still seeing improvement. I hope to find time to go back and finish level 70 before I get to it in Circle 5, but that's probably just not going to happen given the schedule.

Speaking of Circle 5...

Circle Five Has Begun
Last night I started Circle 5. Here's the schedule:

Day # Problems Total
--- ---------- -----
1 488 488
2 340 828
3 234 1062
4 147 1209
"Yeah, right, this is going to happen" was my first thought. However, yesterday was day one and I actually finished all 488 problems in 3.6 hours after work. That's an average time of 24 seconds per problem. I had no idea I could do the problems that fast. It is sort of scary, moving pretty much without thinking or checking variations, but that's what it took. I even did several level 20s in 3 seconds. Miraculously, I only missed 15 problems out of the 488.

Here's the stats so far:

Level 1 % 2 % 3 % 4 % 5 %
----- --- --- ---- ---- ----
10 96% 99% 100% 100% 100%
20 91% 93% 95% 97% 98%
30 74% 80% 87% 93% (in progress)
40 69% 74% 82% 88%
50 67% 72% 81% 89%
60 55% 64% 75% 83%
70 60% 58% 68% --
80 57% -- 64% --
90+ 55% -- 58% --
The numbers are still looking good. To get over 98% on level 20 will be tough without missing any, but we'll see how things go on circles 6 and 7.

Tonight is my wife's birthday, so I'm taking the night off from problems (woohoo!). I will finish (or get as far as possible) on Circle 5 on Friday. I'll spend Saturday and Sunday doing Circle 6, and I'm taking Monday off work for Circle 7.

I guess I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope the light isn't an oncoming train...

5 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Happy Birtyday, Cindy!

Great dream. Was the pizza good?

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger knightwiz said...

15 missed problems out of 488? I have to start dreaming with Tal too! hehe
Good lucky with the remaining circles ;)

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Keep on pluggin!

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger fussylizard said...

I never got to eat the pizza- I woke up before it arrived. I wonder what would have happened had I been able to "talk" to Tal. I've had dreams before where I am reading books and somehow one part of my brain makes up the words that the other half is "reading". The reading seems so real. So I wonder what my brain would have had Tal say...? Weird stuff.

Chris, I'll pass along the well-wishes to Cindy.

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Christian said...

Wow. Looking up in admiration to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home