An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Sleep is for the Weak

To quote one of our illustrious co-founders, "Stick a fork in it- circle three is done." I may have stayed up past 1 a.m. most nights the last few weeks, but I made it through circle three. Let's look at the numbers:

Level Circle 1 % Circle 2 % Circle 3% Circle 4%
----- ---------- ---------- --------- ---------
10 96% 99% 100% (in progress)
20 91% 93% 95%
30 74% 80% 87%
40 69% 74% 82%
50 67% 72% 81%
60 55% 64% 75%
70 60% 58% 68%
80 57% -- 64%
90+ 55% -- 58%
Overall a reasonable improvement. Levels 80+ were a bit rough, but since that was only the second time I'd seen most of those problems, I'm hoping the next circle will be better. I forgot how brutally hard the level 90+ problems can be. I was pretty much going through the motions on most of them since there just isn't enough time to think about them. I probably averaged 5-8 minutes per problem, versus 12 minutes or so on the first pass. Again, I am shocked to say that it appears I'm improving (though only a meager +3%). It really is frustrating to not have any clue about what the next move might be move after move. You know it is bad when the 5x5 "help" comes up and you can't even solve that (though by that time I was probably too dejected to really think about much).

Here's a great example of the "help" you get:


Whew! Glad to know I don't need to worry about those two bishops and a few of the pawns. (For those of you dying to know, this is problem 1136, level 80.) Hmm, looking at this now doesn't ring any bells for me, so the next time I see it I'll use the tried-and-true "modified random selection method": randomly pick a move, preferably one that sacrifices something for no remotely obvious purpose. Seriously, though, despite the hellish nature of the problems, I still think it has been beneficial. I will attempt to complete all 1209 problem in the remaining circles.

Anyway, enough whining. I think this pass was more difficult than it needed to be since I switched schedules in the middle of it and I had only seen many of the level 70+ problems once before due to my scheduling fiasco on cirle two I've discussed earlier. Going forward, here's my schedule for the next 8 days:

Circle 4 Schedule

Day # per day Total
--- --------- -----
1 264 264
2 224 488
3 188 676
4 152 828
5 126 954
6 108 1062
7 83 1145
8 64 1209
I have no idea how I will do 64 level 70+ in one day, but I'll worry about that when I get there. :-) For now it will be nice to get back to problems that are solveable for mere mortals like myself.

BTW Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I hope my effort will inspire others to take up the cause.

For now, continue to sally forth fellow knights and defend Caissa's honor!

8 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Nezha said...

You really keeping to the schedule. Wow! Also, I didnt realize that circle 4 should be done within 8 days only. That should be.. interesting.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Nice going!

"...randomly pick a move, preferably one that sacrifices something for no remotely obvious purpose..."

That's it! You've figured it out ;)

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Congrats! Keep on, keepin' on.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

I am new to the MDLM program. I just starting concentric squares today (here is my blog). I don't understand these references to Caissa: does 'Caissa' have some historical significance?

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger David Glickman said...

I believe "Caissa" is the german word for "Chess". But we chessplayers often refer to Caissa as the Goddess of Chess.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger David Glickman said...

Wait, I take that back ... Schach is the German word for chess. Here's a citation I found.

Caissa: The Goddess of Chess. Caissa was first mentioned in the 1763 poem "Caissa" by Sir William Jones.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger fussylizard said...

Nez, I don't know if I would use a word like interesting. Hellish, torturous, painful, and cruel jump to mind. :-)

I think the program has been helpful, but boy I can't wait to be finished and have a life again. Day one of the fourth circle took 3 hours (not too bad), day two took 5 hours, and day three, which I just finished about 10 minutes ago (at 12:35 in the morning), took 6 hours. I'm not sure how I will have time to do everything and still go to work, but we'll see...

I need to post my progress, but I'm beat. Maybe during one of my breaks tomorrow during my paltry 152 level 40+ problems. :-)

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Damn, that's one messed up "help" screen. It's mathmatically pretty though!

PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home