An Experiment in Rapid Chess Improvement

Record of my experience in undertaking Michael de la Maza's "Rapid Chess Improvement" program.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Suffering

As I work through level 30 in circle 2, I realize I did a poor job of scheduling circle 2. After doing levels 50, 60, etc. I forgot that level 30 was still no picnic. In making my schedule I thought I could do 70 per day of level 30, which is simply not the case at this point (without using up more time than I really can make for chess study- about two hours a day). So the first couple of days of level 10 and 20 were cake, but moving into level 30 was like hitting a brick wall. I finally got caught up through the first week of 70 problems per day, but right now I'm over 100 problems behind (I've finished through 562 but I should be finished with 670). My schedule has me doing 36 problems per day through Thursday, then it drops to 29 per day for the week after. But come hell or high water, I will get caught up...

So the moral of the story: don't take it too easy at the start or you will suffer for it later. If I could re-do the schedule, instead of doing 70 problems a day for a week I would have done something like 110-100-90-80-70-60-50-45.

I will be doing a bit of business travel at the end of this week and the start of next week. I hope to get lots of problems done sitting on the plane. FWIW my current solve rate for level 30 is at 83% and falling, but hopefully I can keep it above the 74% I scored in the first circle.

3 Comments:

At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as it is fun we take the suffering for granted. So keep it fun!!!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

Hang in there. Don't get discouraged. Everything will start to gel. If you find you are getting sloppy because you feel you are getting behind, don't sweat it. No one keeps the schedule. It's impossible.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Margriet said...

The target is to improve your chess skills. The exercises are the tools to help you, not more.
and if you do what you can, realistic, you stay happy.
Improving is fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home